What is Polyfiber?
do you need a thickener for your resin and silicone creations?
do you want to create lighter but resistant pieces?
Then you should know the product Feroca Polyfiber, universal thickener, it's everything you are looking for!
Read the following article and discover all the benefits of this thickener.
what are universal thickeners?
Previously, it has been mentioned that Polyfiber is a universal thickener, but this is not only used in the molding and modeling industry, it has other uses.
To begin with, what is a thickener? Thickening agents are substances that , when added to a mixture, increase its viscosity and improve its texture, without substantially modifying its other properties. They provide body, increase stability and facilitate the formation of suspensions.
Thanks to all this, they are used for various solutions in different sectors.
what is Polyfiber?
- Polyfiber is a perfect product for molding, casting and coating applications.
- This material is a universal thickener, it achieves thixotropy (increases density) in different types of resins and silicones.
- Once added to the product to be processed, it canevenbe used on vertical surfaces. It is also used as a lightener to produce lighter and more resistant parts.
characteristics of Polyfiber?
Polyfiber is a very versatile material that has numerous benefits thanks to the characteristics it possesses, among them:
- It can be worked together with polyester, polyurethane, epoxy and silicone resins.
- Insoluble in water
- Easy to handle
- Less volatile than silica gel
- Converts amoldsilicone into a thick system
- Converts the resin into a very versatile consistency that can be applied to make lightweight molds or mold shells
- Can create thin, lightweight parts.
Differences between Polyfiber and Silicon Gel
what is silica gel?
Before explaining the differences between these two materials, it should be noted that silica gel is a thixotropic agent that acts on viscosity. It comes in the form of a highly volatile powder and is incorporated directly into resin, gels or paints. It should be incorporated directly into the resin with caution, it is an extremely volatile product and it is recommended to mix very slowly until the product is homogeneous.
Due to its absorption capacity, it is commonly used as a matting agent in some applications, such as painting with silicones to obtain hyper-realistic effects.
Difference between the two materials
The difference between silicon and Polyfiber is that the latter is a great alternative when thickening rubbers and polyurethane plastics, as well as the fact that this additive is less toxic and does not usually spread through the air as silica gel does.
how to use Polyfiber step by step?
Now that you have seen its characteristics, it is time to prepare all the material and follow the step by step to thicken both your silicones and resins that you are going to use for your creations.
It is important to take into consideration that since it is a white filler, it is not recommended to work with transparent resins, since it would cloud them. And, if you add too much to the mixture, it will leave it opaque.
Before starting, it is necessary to gather all the products with which we are going to work:
- Polyfiber. To give that viscous look to our piece.
- Resin or silicone from Feroca with which we are going to work and want to give it a new look.
- Two plastic cups to make our mixture.
- A wooden stick or depressor to mix both the resin or silicone, on the one hand, and to incorporate the Polyfiber powder to the mixture of one of these two products.
- Mold in which we are going to pour our mixture and create a new one.
Example of Polyfiber application
In this case, we are going to create thixotropic polyurethane resin
- To do this, we must incorporate and mix the Polyfiber with part A and part B of the resin.
- As this material does not have an exact percentage, it must be mixed according to taste, since we are not always interested in thickening it in the same way.
- Once it is mixed in the two components, we put them together and mix them again.
- And we would already have our thixotropic polyurethane resin to apply on molds.
- As you are going to observe, it will be very easy to use and to apply on the mold with the help of a wooden stick or depressor.
- We wait for the curing time to finish and we will have our piece ready.
Polyfiber by Feroca, the best universal thickener
If you need to buy a universal thickener, we offer you the best product on the market: Polyfiber, which fits all types of processing or repair.
In our stores, both physical and on our website, you will find this product so practical to use. Ideal to thicken your resins and silicones and give them a new look.
If you have any doubts, you can contact our team of experts to provide you with moreinformation and advice . We will be happy to help you!