How to restore furniture with epoxy resin
Epoxyandnbsp;resin is a type of material that has numerous advantages, including its strength. Therefore, it is a good option when it comes to restoring any type of furniture.
It offers a lot of possibilities in the field of repairing any piece of furniture in your home or office, without having to buy a new one. Put your furniture back to waste with epoxy resin!
Steps to restore furniture with resin
In this tutorial, we will show the step by step in the restoration of a wooden leg of a table with epoxy resin. Even so, this process works for any wooden furniture you want to repair. The effect produced by this resin is equal to that of artificial wood and will remain a 100% professional result.andnbsp;
1. Check that our work table is level and completely clean.
2.andnbsp;Pose on a smooth and formwork surface to which we have previously applied a release agent such as pasteandnbsp;release wax to the wood and seal all possible leaky points with a hot melt gun or a sealing silicone.
This way our epoxy resin will not spill.
andnbsp;Preparation of the mixture
3.andnbsp; Before getting down to work, it is necessary to wear gloves, since the resin when handling it can damage the skin and create allergies. If your glove breaks, have several spare ones on hand so that the mixture does not touch, under any circumstances, your skin.
4. We make the mixture.andnbsp;To make the mixture, we will need two products: the catalyst and the resin. Depending on the surface you want to cover, you must use a certain amount following the steps advised by the manufacturer. In this case, we will apply 100 grams of resin for every 50 grams of catalyst so that we can have a uniform mixture and we do not lack it.andnbsp;
If your part to be repaired requires all the product, we advise not to use the whole mixture at once, since the more mass it has, it will generate heat and can crack or even burn.andnbsp; It is advisable to carefully read the manufacturer's recommendations. If you have any questions, our expert team will advise you on the exact amounts and how you should use this product.
5.andnbsp; With the measurements made, first, we pour in a base the mixture A (resin) and then apply the mixture B (catalyst). We can mix these two products with a metal rod so that it does not spoil and be able to use it on other occasions.
6. If it is necessary to thicken the resin, follow these steps.andnbsp;The result will remain as a liquid mixture, but, for our wooden leg, we will need a more homogeneous paste so that it can penetrate well through the cracks and seal properly. To do this, we will use sawdust or, if you prefer, you can use talcum powder, to be able to work better with the mixture and make it look like a putty.andnbsp;
Pigment the resin
7. (Optional) Give color to the resin.andnbsp;With everything mixed, it will not have color, since it is a completely transparent resin, unless you have mixed it with some natural filler. So to make it a color similar to that ofandnbsp;your furniture, you can use pigments.
This step is optional, depending on whether the part of the furnitureandnbsp;you are going to repair is in plain sight or not. Being a liquid and transparent product, you canandnbsp;color this without any problem.
Pour the mixture on the surface to be repaired
8. Secure the area.andnbsp;So that our mixture does not come out and is well sealed to the part that we want to restore, it is necessary to put adhesive tape around, putting several layers of it. Also, you can put a cardboard in the area so that it acts as a stop and does not come out, then you have to cover it with American tape.
9. Apply the mixture. With the seal ready and with the help of a spatula, we gradually pour the liquid, letting it penetrate well through the cracks and preventing bubbles from remaining. Ifit looks like reinforced cement, you can place screws along the mixture so that it is better forged. Although this step is not necessary, since with the sealed effect of the resin is enough.andnbsp;
Drying and cleaning time
10. Let dry. After pouring all the mixture and observing that it is completely thick so that it does its function well, you have to let it dry for the time indicated on the container, but depending on the size and temperature at which you workandnbsp;it will need more drying time.andnbsp;
Resin is a material that works very well when it has not begun to dry, but once dry, it can damage your work area and even the furniture you want to repair. To do this, it is necessary to clean the remains of resin that we will not need with a cloth and acetone.andnbsp;
11.andnbsp;After waiting for the indicated time and checking that the resin is cured, we proceed to remove it from the formwork.
12. So that the result is professional, with a sander we remove all the remaining elements of resin and we polish little by little, eliminating the remains of dust that are generated to see how it is looking. When sanded, it will look similar to wood and it will not be perceived that it has been repaired.
13. Final finish. Once it is well sanded we polish it with these polishing pastes:
Depending on the weight of the last sanding you will have to use the fine or the thick.
By making correct use of epoxy resin for restorations of wooden furniture you can get a hard, solid, light and resistant final product.
Unleash your creativity thanks to Epoxy resin!
The steps described above will not only serve to restore the wooden leg of a table, but also to give a new aesthetic touch to your tables with transparent Epoxy resin and repair other furniture in general, such as chairs, chest of drawers, cabinets, etc.andnbsp; You can get countless creations!
The best techniques and materials to restore furniture with resin in Feroca
As you can see, Epoxy resin is a great solution for repairing furniture. Taking into account all our recommendations, you will surely get a top quality result.
If you still have questions about Epoxy resin or any other Feroca material, contact us and we will be happy to help you.andnbsp;
At Feroca we offer the best quality epoxy resin on the market. We are specialists in catering products, so we guarantee optimal and professional results with the products of our store.